Thursday, October 16, 2008

ROOT CANAL TREATMENT

One unpleasant evening I was sitting in my office canteen and was browsing through the menu card. From the time I joined, there was no change in the menu but only in the rates which increased like the BP of a patient being checked by a beautiful nurse. I finally settled with samosa without knowing the lethal consequence it would generate. First 2 bites were good, crisp and tasty. The third bite was toooo crispy than anybody would expect and I heard a crackling sound in my mouth. One of my teeth was half broken. Only “too” was remaining and “th” was gone. The next bite was so painful that I almost met my late grandfather and came back. That definitely called for a visit to the dentist.

I took Raji also with me to the dentist and we were waiting for our turn in the lobby along with some really weird patients. There was a huge guy with teeth so big like piano keys and they were so yellow that when he smiles the traffic might slow down. I guess if he drinks water it might turn into Maaza inside his mouth. There was one more lady whose teeth were so crooked that her mouth looked like a DIRECTIONS board. I was praying God that both of them should be the dentist’s first time patients and they should not have come to sue him for their condition. The clinic was so small, that if the doctor orders for a Large Pizza he has to come out and eat.
My turn came and both of us walked into the small clinic to be greeted by a soft looking person and his assistant. I explained my problem to him thinking that he would work on my broken tooth for 10 minutes and get that alright. He asked me to sit on the reclining chair and I reclined so much that I thought I was in Aerobics class. The spotlight was on me and he asked me to open my mouth wider, wider and more wider. If the dentist was a little short I would have accommodated him in my mouth itself. He spotted the problem and removed his gloves and kept the bizarre looking instrument back in its place. I was eager to know what the problem was. He said my “too” was infected and he has to do a ROOT CANAL TREATMENT (RCT). He showed me pictures of a tooth’s anatomy which looked like mountain ranges for me. He didn’t even wait for a YES from me and started his treatment.
He first gave me a local anesthesia and waited till I lost my sensation in that part. He then started working on the tooth and I had no clue what was happening. After a couple of minutes he asked me to spit in the basin and I saw myself spitting blood. I felt like a vampire with blood in my mouth. After sometime he asked me to leave and come after a couple of days. My second sitting with him was without any anesthesia. This time he started drilling to the root. The ROUTE to the ROOT was excruciatingly painful. He was drilling so deeply that I thought the “7 shaped” needle might come out of my head. I was slowly marching from being a DENTAL patient to becoming a MENTAL patient because of the pain. After a couple of more sittings, the similar procedure followed and I had a cap fixed on that part and was feeling much better. Finally he gave me the bill and I should really accept the fact that was more painful than the whole process.

3 comments:

SubSun said...

Praveen..

I was supposed to meet my dentist for some filling this weekend before our trip...but after reading this post im skeptical....thank to you :)

Pilani Pictures said...

Mama...nobody else cud have made a tooth pain expr so humorous! :)

"I guess if he drinks water it might turn into Maaza inside his mouth. "
:):):)

Siva Chidambaram said...

hey nice one da.. the narration was so good i felt my tooth shaking...